Although we only get a few short months of hot, humid weather, these are the months that we want our spray tans to look the best! Here I will share with you guys a few things that you can do to prepare for and take of your tan, so that it is the best it can possibly be.
I’d like to point out that sunless tanning is a 50/50 commitment between client and artist. If you follow these suggestions and choose a professional, experienced sunless tanning artist, your sunless tan will be perfect!
- The first and most important rule to anyone in the skincare industry is to WEAR SUNSCREEN. I can’t stress this enough! Did you know that when your skin is burnt, even the tiniest bit, it will take at least two months to heal. Regardless if you are the type of person who when sunburnt never peels, if you put a sunless tan over damaged skin, it WILL peel, and it WILL look crazy. Along with helping your spray tans look perfect, wearing sunscreen of course has so many other important benefits. WEAR THAT SPF! Also, sunless tanner gives you absolutely no protection from the sun. Please use an alcohol-free, oil-free sunscreen so that your tan will last. My favourite brand of sunscreen at the moment is Sun Bum!
- Secondly, it is so important to hydrate your skin. You can do this in two ways, and I suggest incorporating both into your daily routines if you haven’t already. Use a paraben free, alcohol free moisturizer two times a day, and drink plenty of water! Drinking water helps your skin tremendously - it keeps it hydrated from the inside out. Moisturize your skin twice a day with a spray tan friendly lotion to keep your tan looking fresh.
- It is important to exfoliate your skin 24 hours before your sunless tanning appointment. Concentrate on the dryer areas, like your knees, elbows, ankles, chest arms and legs. You should visibly see a layer of dead skin roll away when you exfoliate properly. If you are looking for an exfoliating mitt, you have to try this one —> you can find it on our website!
- It is important NOT to take a shower right before your spray tan. Soaps and shampoos will leave a barrier on your skin as well. However, during the summer months, we all get really sweaty, right? Sweat also leaves a barrier on your skin. It is important to either 1) wipe off the sweat with a wipe before spraying, or 2) you may choose to get a quick, COOL rinse before coming to your appointment. No soap, just water. The cool water will help keep your pores closed, so that the solution doesn’t pool in those areas, avoiding a “speckled” look. This is also a reason why we don’t take hot showers right before a tan. Your pores will stay open and your tan will look “speckled” as the solution gets trapped in your pores!
- Bring appropriate clothing to your appointment. Although it is warm, you’ll want to wear something light, breathable, and preferably long pants. When you sit in your hot car with a fresh spray tan and bare legs, chances are it’s going to smudge (leather seats are a spray tan ruiner FYI). Be sure to avoid any skin on skin contact while the tan is processing before your first rinse, which includes bending the arms, your arms resting on your body, hands resting on thighs, etc.
- Rapid tan is a great option during the warm summer months. It allows you to rinse off in as little as 1-4 hours after being sprayed, with the tan fully developing around 12-24 hours. So much better than leaving a solution on your skin for a full 8-10 hours and trying your hardest not to sweat or get it wet. Unless you like lying naked in front of a fan! You do you!
- Do some research when choosing your sunless tanning artist. Feel free to ask them questions, like what kind of spray tans they offer, and ask if they use a finishing powder. Finishing powder is applied all over the body after the initial spray tan application, and it is used to protect your tan while it processes. By applying this powder in the creases where skin on skin contact may occur (armpits, arm creases, leg creases). Our GLOW finishing powder makes you smell amazing, protects your tan while it processes and reduces excessive perspiring, and did I mention it’s SPARKLY?
- Do all your shaving and waxing at least 24 hours before your spray tanning appointment. Waxing removes an entire layer of skin, and will need this grace period to help repair so that your skin will actually absorb the tanning solution. Waxing or shaving too close to your spray tan appointment will result in a patchy or streaky tan.
Follow these tips, and I promise you a fabulously flawless sunless tan!
Happy sunless tanning!